In my last two years as Women’s Ministry Director, I’ve spent a great of time talking to other women who lead ministries and Bible Studies around the country. One lesson I’ve learned is never jump from one Bible study to the next. Instead, take a break, go back over what you learned, and let the truths sink in. This practice also gives God an opportunity to show you new truths you may have missed the first time.
While we are not ending our study of Romans, it’s also good when studying a book over a long period time to pause and do the same. My friend (and cousin) Katie Taurisano likens this to Ruth, gleaning in the fields after the reapers. (You can read more in Ruth 2 about this process). The principle is that after the reapers would harvest a field, the widows and the poor would go behind and pick up the wheat that was left behind.
To glean means to gather (something, such as information) bit by bit, to pick over in search of relevant material. That’s what this week is about. We are pausing between Romans 7 and 8 to spend time going back over the first seven chapters, find new material. Reread a chapter a day. Pray and ask God to reveal fresh truths. Spend some time with your girlfriends going over the highlights.
This week, Stacey Thacker and I share our favorites themes, ways God opened our eyes to see these verses in a new light, and talk about what’s coming for Part 2.
Prefer the audio version? Listen here:
For This Week:
- Read Romans 8:1-17
- Gather with some girlfriends and talk about what you read.
- Discover: What three truths did you learn from this passage?
- Discuss: Read Romans 8:1-3 & John 3:17. What does it mean to “not be condemned”? Why did Jesus come? What is the result of His coming?
- Share: What are the benefits of being controlled by the Spirit listed in these passages?
- Memorize Romans 8:1-2
- Come back next week for Video 9.
I am thrilled to be part of an online Bible Conference called Enjoy the Word 2018. God has grown my passion for His Word for the last couple of years. It has breathed new life into my every day. For the first time in my life, I truly enjoy the Bible. And look at these amazing women involved! They are some of my favorite Bible teachers.
Here are some of the sessions (and you get to keep the videos for LIFE!):
- Keynote Speakers: Chris and Katie Orr – a Study through Jonah
- Kat Lee (HelloMornings.org) – How to Build the Habit of Regular Bible Study
- Stacey Thacker (StaceyThacker.com) – Igniting a Passion for God through His Word
- Katie Orr (KatieOrr.me) – Too Busy for Bible Study?
- Brooke McGlothlin (TheMOBSociety.com) – How to Control Your Emotions so They Don’t Control You
- Elyse Fitzpatrick (ElyseFitzpatrick.com) – Finding the Love of Jesus from Genesis to Revelation
- Angie Brown Elkins (chatologie.com) – How to Worship Through the Word
Click here for all the details and to register.